Monday, June 12, 2023

The Greatest

 

Benjamin Disraeli Quote: “Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.”

 The Greatest by Mike Farris
 
Muhammad Ali was an American professional boxer and activist. Self-proclaimed, "The Greatest", he is regarded as one of the most significant sports figures of the 20th century and is often regarded as the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time.

I did not agree with Ali's choice of religion, but I admired him as a human being and a man of integrity. Although I served in the Marine Corps, my respect for Ali was only heightened by his refusal to be inducted into the US Army. I loved his remark, "no one in Vietnam ever called me a nigger." I respect a man who takes a stand for what he is willing to fight.

Speaking of taking a stand, there was a man in the Bible named Job who was the greatest of all the people of the East. After all God put Job through, he never lost his integrity. Read what Job said: "Though He (God) slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him. He also shall be my salvation, For a hypocrite could not come before Him." ~Job 13:15-16

There is another man that I admire and respect more than Ali or Job. His name is Jesus Christ. He is the greatest of all time. When asked what was the greatest commandment, he replied: ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." ~Matthew 22:37-40

Being the greatest at something means you are willing to give your life for what you believe. Jesus certainly proved that by taking all the sins of the world on himself and volunteering for the death penalty in our place.

As it is written: Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. ~ John 15:13
 
By the way, I was born white. I blame my white parents. They didn't know any better than to have a bunch of white kids. I will have to give them credit for teaching my brothers and sisters and me to respect ALL people. My friend and business partner, George Gould, is a black man that I love like a brother... no pun intended. Racism is a tool of the devil. Tell that old deceiver to take a hike. 

You are cordially invited to join Renew Your Strength Bible Study Group